kolejne 14 odsłon wojny
znalazłem, to sie i podzielę:
4. (rozszerzone) More US servicemen died in the Air Corps that the Marine
Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of being killed
was 71%. Not that bombers were helpless. A B-17 carried 4 tons of bombs and 1.5
tons of machine gun ammo. The US 8th Air Force shot down 6,098 fighter planes,
1 for every 12,700 shots fired.
12. Germany’s power grid was much more vulnerable than realized. One estimate
is that if just 1% of the bombs dropped on German industry had instead been
dropped on power plants, German industry would have collapsed.
13. A number of air crewmen died of farts. (ascending to 20,000 ft. in an un-
pressurized aircraft causes intestinal gas to expand 300%!)
14. The Russians destroyed over 500 German aircraft by ramming them in midair
(they also sometimes cleared minefields by marching over them). “It takes a
brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army”. Joseph Stalin
15. The US Army had more ships that the US Navy.
16. The German Air Force had 22 infantry divisions, 2 armor divisions, and 11
paratroop divisions. None of them were capable of airborne operations. The
German Army had paratroops who WERE capable of airborne operations.
17. When the US Army landed in North Africa, among the equipment brought ashore
were 3 complete Coca Cola bottling plants.
18. The Graf Spee never sank, The scuttling attempt failed and the ship was
bought by the British. On board was Germany’s newest radar system.
19. One of Japan’s methods of destroying tanks was to bury a very large
artillery shell with only the nose exposed. When a tank came near the enough a
soldier would whack the shell with a hammer. “Lack of weapons is no excuse for
defeat.” – Lt. Gen. Mataguchi
20. The MISS ME was an unarmed Piper Cub. While spotting for US artillery her
pilot saw a similar German plane doing the same thing. He dove on the German
plane and he and his co-pilot fired their pistols damaging the German plane
enough that it had to make a forced landing. Whereupon they landed and took the
Germans prisoner. It is unknown where they put them since the MISS ME only had
21. Most members of the Waffen SS were not German.
22. The only nation that Germany declared war on was the USA.
23. During the Japanese attack on Hong Kong, British officers objected to
Canadian infantrymen taking up positions in the officer’s mess. No enlisted men
24. Nuclear physicist Niels Bohr was rescued in the nick of time from German
occupied Denmark. While Danish resistance fighters provided covering fire he
ran out the back door of his home stopping momentarily to grab a beer bottle
full of precious “heavy water”. He finally reached England still clutching the
bottle, which contained beer. Perhaps some German drank the heavy water…